Going Big

Ideas to improve the forum

Going Big

Postby The Pope » 02 Jun 2012, 23:33

Okay, listen up. Currently, YGOPro is just a minor little thing that hasn't hit its stride yet. However, it has the potential to blow Dueling Network out of the water. So there are a couple of steps we have to take.

First off, this forum needs a cleanup. It is currently incredibly bland and drab. It needs icons, banners, give it some dazzle, make it look great. That's the first step to attracting people to the forum: by making the forum attractive.

The next, and most crucial step, is increasing ease of access for YGOPro. In its current state, players are required to use Hamachi. While this may work for now, in the long run it just won't do; logging into a website like DN is perceived to be much easier. Nobody wants to download YGOPro AND Hamachi.

What we need is our own server.

The question is, how do we go about this? DN's server clocks in at thousands. I am honestly baffled by this; how the hell do they have such a big server? That thing must cost a pretty penny. Is it really being held up just by donations? Anyway, we need to find out how to get a server like that for our own. Once we get that server, we can expand rapidly from our current state.

So, that begs the question: who knows about hosting servers? Can anyone provide information on getting us a server for us to all play on simultaneously?

One of the best options, though, may be an online mode built directly into the game.

Percy, I know you're a busy man, but this needs to be your next focus of attention. And if you're not the person in charge of putting something like this in, get in talks with the core developer. There is a Chinese server, right? How about having the Online button (which has magically vanished) bring up the list of people on the server for you to join? Could this maybe be accompanied by a chat box where everyone in the server can talk?

These slow, simple steps will help YGOPro nudge DN out of the way and take it down for good. We have the technical aspect down; now we have to attract new members.
Get back to work, woman.
The Pope

Re: Going Big

Postby Realsoter » 03 Jun 2012, 04:35

KC has made a server for this game.Its called ''The Dawn of a New Era''.Go to http://battlecitykc.webs.com to download it!The forum of that game is
kc-ladder.com/forum.Have fun!
Realsoter

Postby Vakrug » 03 Jun 2012, 04:44

The Pope wrote:However, it has the potential to blow Dueling Network out of the water.
Yes it is! I recently read in their forum what are they thinking about YGOPro... I am so angry!!! :evil: YGOPro must shuffle DN into dust now!
The Pope wrote:First off, this forum needs a cleanup.
Good idea, but we need moderation much more than baneers and so on. Look at all those topics.
The Pope wrote:The next, and most crucial step, is increasing ease of access for YGOPro.
And to do that we should write good and accessible instruction for newbys. Not only how where and what to download, but also about Ctrl+A combination, right-click and so on.
The Pope wrote:In its current state, players are required to use Hamachi.
Hamachi sucks! Comodo sucks twice! People, use Tunngle!
The Pope wrote:What we need is our own server.
May be you are right, but I suggest to wait unlil all cards will be programmed. May be after that developers will reprogam all in JavaScript or something else more suted for online usage.
Vakrug

Postby The Pope » 03 Jun 2012, 11:04

Realsoter, get the fuck out of here. That thing is a slow, buggy mess.

As for moderation on the forum, we do need to organize things better. Maybe get some more adnims/mods to clean things up? I think I'd be able to do a decent job at that.

And I don't think we need to wait until we have more cards to get a server.
Get back to work, woman.
The Pope

Postby Realsoter » 03 Jun 2012, 12:43

Oh what do we have here?!It seems someone got pissed off :P !!
For me it works just fine.It is a solid game.What more u need?
Also a new improvement is coming on.A new ranking system!!
Have fun!!!
Realsoter

Postby J_BYYX » 03 Jun 2012, 15:13

Actually I'm looking for moderators. Send me pm if you want to become one (Also list forums you were/are moderator/admin).

Forum needs some cleanup. Also maybe new skin. But i don't like the idea about images for each category...
J_BYYX
Site Admin

Postby Valkyra » 11 Jun 2012, 07:53

I'm with Realsoter on this one, I've been using Dawn and it works fine.

What this game needs in order to top DN is a complete database and absolutely no ruling errors or card bugs. Most people that prefer DN say this game is crap because there are too many errors. As well as the lack of some simple things such as shuffling your hand (which is why I suggested it in the other thread).
I'd say: first focus on completing/perfecting the game, then try to make it server side.

Forum could use a little touch-up indeed though.
Valkyra

Postby Starstrike » 14 Jun 2012, 22:30

Rofl sorry, bros. Dawn of a New Era blows. Seto Kaiba and his dumbass friend King Stannis have ruined the place with their new rules. They were being hacked by one of their own staff members while I was away sick. I come back and found out I lost my admin position and was gonna be banned because they thought it was me.

It is not better. On my system which is fast as hell, the Launcher runs slow as hell. It takes days to almost weeks to be updated to the latest version and the higher staff don't know how to run anything. I'd much rather play ygopro with a VPN program than ever use Dawn of a New Era again.
Starstrike

Postby Vakrug » 15 Jun 2012, 04:22

Starstrike wrote:On my system which is fast as hell, the Launcher runs slow as hell.
Excuse me, can anyone tell me, what do you mean saying "Launcher is slow"? I played once there, it takes a minute (not more) after starting launcher before I can connect and play. Game speed was also normal.
The reason why I left this system was that they are not following each new version. The only update I remember was when TAG came out. Is that is what you mean "slow"?
Vakrug

Postby Starstrike » 20 Jun 2012, 17:48

Vakrug wrote:
Starstrike wrote:On my system which is fast as hell, the Launcher runs slow as hell.
Excuse me, can anyone tell me, what do you mean saying "Launcher is slow"? I played once there, it takes a minute (not more) after starting launcher before I can connect and play. Game speed was also normal.
The reason why I left this system was that they are not following each new version. The only update I remember was when TAG came out. Is that is what you mean "slow"?

I say slow because I have an Intel Core i7 and 8 GB of RAM and when I open the launcher and click play, it takes around 30 seconds to a minute for everything else to show up. That is slow, my friend.

As far as updates, those are slow too. It JUST got updated to the 1.029 version. 1.030 is gonna be out in the next few days I'm sure.
Starstrike

Postby [AW] Ancient » 21 Jun 2012, 11:52

Starstrike wrote:
Vakrug wrote:

I say slow because I have an Intel Core i7 and 8 GB of RAM and when I open the launcher and click play, it takes around 30 seconds to a minute for everything else to show up. That is slow, my friend.

As far as updates, those are slow too. It JUST got updated to the 1.029 version. 1.030 is gonna be out in the next few days I'm sure.

Dude kaiba and stannis are busy ppl, and no it is not slow. It only took me seconds to open it if you use 7-zip. If you are complaining then your computer sucks. And also, hamachi is shitty on my computer since it took forever to load the online list on there. However, it would be nice if everyone can just shift their gears to dawn and have more people make good contributions to it.
[AW] Ancient

Postby Miley Syrus + » 11 Oct 2012, 13:16

Yeah, a more cleaned up forum with additional room for other topics like deck discussion, sports, ect would do some good. Maybe some alternative skins for the forums. Other than that I like it here. :)
Miley Syrus +

Return to Forum Suggestions